Our ‘Explained’ series of posts aims to simplify the information surrounding vegan nutrition. This article talks about calcium.
- Vegans don’t focus enough on getting adequate amounts of calcium
- Vegans should focus on incorporating collard greens, turnip greens, bok choy, edamame and broccoli into their diet
- Eat more foods fortified with Calcium such as cereals, plant milks and soy products
- Increase intake of Vitamin D which supports increased calcium absorption. Spend more time in the sun if possible and consume fortified products such as plant milks and orange juice.
- Avoid eating too many foods high in oxalates which block calcium absorption. Examples include spinach, beets, bran flakes, french fries and nut butters.
- Consider incorporating fermented foods such as kimchi or sauerkraut in your diet for Vitamin K2 which helps boost bone health.
- Adopt healthy lifestyle habits such as frequent exercise to maintain a healthy body weight and avoid excessive smoking and alcohol drinking.