Great hummus takes a lot of trial and error. You need the right recipe, the right ingredients, quantities and equipment. I’ve already done all the hard work for you and been through it all. I’ve decided this one recipe and method is the best. Enjoy!
Dried or Canned Chickpeas?
You can use canned but I HIGHLY suggest you used dried if you want amazing homemade hummus. Not only are canned chickpeas more expensive in the long run but they significantly tamper with the taste of your precious hummus!
If possible, buy dried chickpeas. Yes, this means some more effort on preparation but you will save so much money and you get a better tasting hummus! You can also freeze the chickpeas once cooked to pull out and make hummus at any time.
I worked out that for the same price of 180g pot of hummus at my local supermarket I could make 1kg of my own hummus for the same cost!\
Preparation (Overnight + 4 hours)
I know I know. Overnight plus 4 hours! But listen, great tasting quality food needs time and patience. We live in a world obsessed with instant gratification, we want everything right now but there is great value in taking your time and respecting a process. Especially when it comes to food.
- Soak dried chickpeas in a large bowl with a pinch of baking powder. This raises the PH level of the water making the chickpeas more soluble. This means they are easier to cook and make your hummus creamier.
- The next day add the chickpeas to a large pot with water and bring to the boil on the stove. Keep boiling until the chickpeas go soft and their shells fall off easily.
- Alternatively, you could bring to the boil on the stove and then add to slow cooker or Wonderbag for 4-6 hours.
You are going to need the following:
How to Make It (15 Minutes)
How to Make Hummus Like a ProCourse: SnacksCuisine: Mediterranean
250g Chickpeas (cooked, as above or 1 x 400ml can drained and washed)
1/4 cup of Tahini (pre-made or make your own here)
1/4 cup (60ml) fresh lemon juice
1 small garlic clove (minced)
2 tbsps of olive oil
1/2 tspn ground cumin
3 tbsps of water
Pinch of smoked paprika
Handful of hemp seeds
Sprinkle of sunflower seeds
- Add tahini and lemon juice to bowl. Using the immersion blender: blend for 30 seconds, scrape sides of bowl and blender nozzle, then blend for another 30 seconds until smooth.
- Pop in the garlic, cumin, salt and olive oil. Blend again for 30 seconds, scrape and blend for another 30 seconds.
- Now add half the chickpeas in the bowl and blend for 1 minute. Scrape and add 2nd half of chickpeas. Blend again until smooth.
- Two options to finish:
Option 1 – continue with the immersion blender, add the water and continue to blend until creamy. 2
Option 2 – add the mix to your blender of choice, add water and blend until ultra smooth and creamy.
- Optional ingredients:
Hemp Seeds – add a handful and blend in the mix at the end for extra creaminess and boost in protein.
Smoked Paprika – add a dash of smoked paprika once finished for a twist in flavour.
Sunflower Seeds – a sprinkle on top for a nutty taste