A taste of the Mediterranean with the vegan power food that is tofu! Simple and quick to make.
I was recently in the insanely beautiful area of the Drakensberg in South Africa. Myself and my partner were lucky to stay in an amazing wooden cabin for 4 days with the view below. The cabin came with a well-equipped kitchen so I decided to get experimental with the food we brought with us.
I’ve recently become obsessed with scrambled tofu and have been making it a lot at home but more of a breakfast dish really. So I decided to mix it up and give it a Mediterranean twist.
This dish is so simple to make because the oven does most of the work for you! The tofu takes a matter of minutes in a pan and voila!
This dish is so versatile you can make your own seasoning and spice mix to your taste and use that. I’ve put my recommended mix of herbs in the ingredients below but feel free to change it up.
The dish is packed full of nutrients with a huge boost of protein from the tofu! This dish beats scrambled eggs any day of the week.
You only need a few pieces of equipment:
- Oven tray
- Frying pan
For more recipes and general information join my mailing list.
So, here ‘s how to do it:
Scramble Tofu with Mediterranean Roast VegetablesCourse: BrunchCuisine: MediterraneanDifficulty: Easy
A very simple but tasty scramble tofu dish for breakfast or lunch.
250g of Firm Tofu
1 Medium sized red onion
3 cloves of garlic (minced or chopped fine)
Good pinch of dried herbs (Rosemary, Oregano, Thyme and Basil)
1 large carrot halved and sliced (semi-circles)
2 large courgettes (zucchinis)
200g of pumpkin cubed
Half a red pepper sliced
Half a yellow pepper sliced
Handful of cherry tomatoes halved
Handful of black Kalamata olives
Handful of baby spinach (flexible – add as much as you like)
Salt and pepper to taste
- Spice Mix
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/4 tsp chili powder
Water (to thin)
1/4 tsp turmeric (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C (392°F)
- First, let’s make the spice mix. Get a small bowl and add all the spices with enough water to make a sauce. Put to one side.
- Now add all the veggies to an oven dish with plenty of olive oil and the dried herbs. Roast for approx 30 minutes. Shake and toss the oven tray every 10 mins.
- 10 minutes before the veggies are done crumble the tofu into a saucepan and put on medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Then add the spice mix stirring as to coat all of the tofu and cook for 5 minutes.
- Now mix the roast veggies and tofu scramble in a large pot. Add baby spinach leaves and let stand for a few minutes until the spinach is slightly wilted.
- Once cooked top with a mix of hemp, sunflower and pumpkin seeds for a crunchy texture and boost of protein.
- *Inspired by/adapted from Minimalist Baker